How to improve your SEO in 5 easy steps…
- Create Relevant Content
As the competition for high search engine rankings escalates, it is becoming more and more difficult for companies to secure business due to the ever increasing market saturation. At this time it is not only important that your online presence is engaging but more importantly, to ensure that it is relevant. Relevance is key when creating content for your website as it acts as an extension of your company and can be tailored to promote your business.
How to create great content:
- Writing blogs posts – by posting content that encompasses your brand philosophies and opinions this can allow you to build trust with your client base.
- Creating infographics – infographics are a visual interpretation of facts and statistics and can be much more effective than vast pages of text.
- Newsletters – by sending out regular newsletters you allow clients to know that you are active and update them on latest news without bombarding them.
- E-shots – similar to newsletters, e-shots can provide short, snappy information bites to allow your clients to be informed of offers, promotions and new news.
- Videos – Videos are an extremely powerful and engaging way to promote your business. They can offer a lot of information in a short space of time and can be designed to fit your brand and business.
- Adhere to Mobile Friendliness standards
Ensure that your website is mobile friendly. Google will penalise you if you are not, demoting you in search engine results – especially Google search results as they consider mobile friendliness a high priority for new websites to comply to user experience legislations. Make sure that your website is responsive and can work across various screen sizes. This includes optimising images for web – and trying not to compromise quality for design. By ensuring all of the functions of your website work as well (if not better) on mobile you are opening your company doors to far more potential clients then if you simply ignore it.
- Add Structured Data Mark-up / rich snippet
Adding structured data/rich snippets to your website using the free Google Analytics tool will allow you to tag your data in order for it to be found easier in google searches. Rich snippets allow you to add detail to existing data that will make your information more transparent for the Google bots to understand. This allows search engines the ability to refine a their user experience further and offers your business more opportunities to be seen. For more info visit the free google guide here: https://developers.google.com/structured-data/
URL’s can have a similar relevance to key words in terms of allowing your pages to be findable. By ensuring you have a relevant URL (that makes sense) your website will be more usable as users will be able to see where they are navigating to and from specifically if moving through categories. As a rule URLs should not have underscores or unusual character and if there are multiple words, they should be separated by a hyphen if needed. URLs should also be under 2,048 characters otherwise some browsers will not recognise them.
- Social Media
People often forget about the importance and power of social media in improving their SEO. By using social media correctly you can build and sustain great working relationships by simply putting in a little bit of time, to converse, respond and create ties with potential customers/clients.
Social media is a free way to promote, advertise and improve website traffic. By regularly updating social profiles you show that you are active and engaged in your own work. It allows a place for you to build brand reputation and acts as an interface to improve your businesses customer service.